Gorgeously Green Official

Here is the official website that I have used as a basis for my blog: www.gorgeouslygreen.com

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Workshop=sucess (ish)

The workshop today was interesting.  I created a powerpoint but couldn't use it because to rent a projector and screen was going to cost $65.  My entire budget for the workshop was $20.  So I basically had to wing it, which almost always translates into me not covering everything that I intended and standing awkwardly in front of everyone trying to remember what I had wanted to say.

Ten minutes into the workshop I had covered everything that I could think of.  Thank god for people having questions!  I could have gone further in depth about why the harsher chemicals were so bad but I figured those who came already knew that.  Not a safe assumption.

I also made sure to cover some of the bought products, like my Origins makeup, the deodorant, the toner, etc.  If you want to know how earth friendly your product is look for the company's mission statement in addition to the ingredients.  Together these make your product more reliable, earth friendly, and humanly ethical.

Marie, Amanda, and I had prepared some of the recipes that people could try while there.  The toothpaste one actually got people to try...though it didn't taste the best but you can add mint leaves to make it taste better.  My friend Ginger actually tried the cleaning the table (like I had encouraged) but the look on her face was one of enthusiasm.

I'm totally planning of doing another workshop next fall.  This time having more prepared, note cards for when I get stuck, do a lot more advertising, and to encourage people to bring things to clean.  It's really hard to do this workshop without having things to clean.  I want to show people how it works but taking to my apartment and cleaning it seems a little excessive.

ABC 10 was at my workshop!  Once I saw this person set up her camera, I was like: "Just ignore it, do the workshop and hopefully it won't be as bad as I think it is."  I'm not going to lie, I thought I would freak out.  I kept waiting for it to happen but it never did. Perhaps it was because most of the people there were people from ESO or SFSL.

After the workshop the reporter interviewed me!  Totally unexpected, basically she just wanted more of my opinion about my views and why I'm into Green Cleaning.  Jen, I used this to promote my blog, in addition to this workshop being a part of Down to Earth Week

Since I can't figure out how to post my awesome powerpoint here is one of the handouts that I had:
Green Cleaning
Materials :
ž  Vinegar
ž  Baking Soda
ž  Lemons
ž  Salt
ž  Tea Tree Oil
ž  Borax



Toothpaste Alternative
Mix together equal parts of baking soda and salt.
The dry salt makes for a fabulous tooth polisher!
Just don’t use this when you have known open wounds within your mouth.



Eggs: Good or Bad?
We’ve all done it.  It’s the end of the semester and there is food that needs to be eaten in the fridge.
Here is a solution to test whether the eggs in your fridge are good or bad:
Place the questionable egg(s) in a pot of salt water.
Fresh eggs sink.
Bad eggs float.

All Purpose Cleaner
2 cups H2O
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon pure castile soap(Dr. B's can be substituted)
3/4 cup peroxide
20 drops of tea tree oil (if already in Dr. B's can skip this)
20 drops of lavender or lemongrass essential oil.
Can add 20 drops of citronella oil in summer as bug repellant.
In a 32 oz plastic spray bottle mix:
Suitable for acrylic, ceramic, tile, wood, marble or granite.

Ink Stains
To remove an ink spot from the carpet, pour salt onto the stain and let it soak up the liquid before brushing up the salt.
As with all stain removals, try on an inconspicuous part of carpet first.

Window
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pure castile soap
2 cups H2O,
And mix in spray bottle.

Green Pets!
12 oz peroxide
1/2 teaspoon liquid soap
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda.
Mix and store in plastic spray bottle.
A WORD OF CAUTION: If you don't use this up fairly soon the soda will solidify and clog the sprayer though so you can cut ingredients in half.

Fish Tank
Remove water, fish, and other contents. Create a paste of baking soda & white vinegar.  Scrub an rinse thoroughly before returning the fish.

Pest Prevention
Ant deterrent: sprinkle salt onto your shelves to keep ants away.
Not suggested for areas that are damp

Repel Fleas: wash your dog’s bed in salty water.

Weeds and Slugs: sprinkle salt around known areas/areas desired to be lacking in weeds.

Does your coffee pot need to be cleaned?
               Use salt to clean your coffee pot. 
Just sprinkle some salt within the pot and scrub away.

Air Freshener:
ž  Teaspoon of baking soda
ž  Tablespoon of vinegar
ž  2 ½ Cups of water
ž  After the solution is done fizzling, mix well and place in a spray bottle.

Paint/Vomit: place a bowl of vinegar within the room overnight.
Bisphenol A (BPA)
BPA is a hormone-disrupting chemical that can mimic hormones in your body.
Has been linked to:
  • Obesity
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Breast Cancer
Can be found:
  • Beverage Cans
  • Canned Food Container
  • Plastic Bottles and Containers
  • Dental fillings and sealants
How BPA leaches out of these containers:
  • Heating containers or bottles
  • Filling the containers with hot liquids
  • Putting acidic foods in containers
The other handout that I had was the Cheat Sheet, the link is given in the blog.

3 comments:

  1. I'm always throwing out eggs because I'm not sure how long they've been in the fridge. Love the tip about how to find out if they're still good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it went so much better than you thought it would, even with the absence of your powerpoint! This sounds like such an interesting workshop, maybe I'll try to get to the one in the fall if you have one. :)
    And thanks for all the tips! This is such an interesting project, and so, well, environmentally friendly. ^^

    ReplyDelete