Gorgeously Green Official

Here is the official website that I have used as a basis for my blog: www.gorgeouslygreen.com

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Why yoga?

Honestly I've been wondering this prior to people asking me.  It does save the gas and emissions of driving to the gym because it's something you can do just about anywhere.  It also doesn't require anything but yourself to practice yoga...with the exception of a mat if you are so inclined to use one.  But I've been practicing ballet in my apartment as well so doesn't that technically count?  And I don't need to use my mat.

According to Green Living Ideas yoga is considered green because of the basis of connecting the emotional, physical and spiritual well beings.  Though the origins are unknown for this practice it is thought to have emerged from meditation within nature and the evolution of civilization.  The numerous postures named after animals and plants is used to justify this in Green Living.  I don't necessarily agree with that justification because we develop land for housing developments and then name the streets after the plants and animals we just removed from the area.

I think I'm just going to settle for yoga bringing together the emotions, physical and spiritual well beings.  I enjoy playing a good volleyball game but honestly a lot of games can get out of hand.  The competition and my own "Watcher at the Gate" make it difficult to deal with others observing/participating in something I am trying to achieve.  With yoga, cross country skiing, and ballet I have only myself and the watcher with me; I can conquer my watcher if it's just me.  (Most of the time)  I can practice at my own pace and I don't judge myself as harshly as if I were with others.

The sense of achievement after conquering my watcher at the gate is similar to a favorite picture of mine.  This is Audrey Hepburn, who originally wanted and practiced to be a prima ballerina.  She wasn't able to make up the lost time of practice while being a prisoner of war in WWII, but just look at the complete joy on her face!  If that isn't accomplishment within oneself I don't know what is.

2 comments:

  1. I like your thought on the subject :)

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga is one of those self-help exercises (for me anyway). I find that once I went through the yoga course at NMU, I started to incorporate some of the sitting techniques and poses into my life without even realizing it. I mostly noticed how they helped me stay incredibly sensible and keen. Just stopping to realize how I'm breathing slows everything down sometimes, or even sitting still and blanking my mind for 5 minutes. I do it all the time when I get stressed, or starting to get a headache. Maybe clearing my mind like that is where I get all my odd ideas from... hard to be sure.

    ReplyDelete