Gorgeously Green Official

Here is the official website that I have used as a basis for my blog: www.gorgeouslygreen.com

Friday, June 15, 2012

Grand Island Native Plants

For last summer and this current one, I’ve been working on Grand Island in Munising, Mich. Since no one has yet to tell me what my work title is on the Island I’ve dubbed myself a “Native Plant Restoration Worker”, though technically I think I’m an independent contractor. But “Native Plant Restoration Worker” sounds so much more descriptive and implies the eight hours of fun that I have playing in the dirt and grievous torture of daily strip downs to look for ticks (a problem that has magnified since last summer).
The Farm Field, a previously planted plot full of invasive plants.

Explaining what I do, well it tends to bore people. I can’t figure out whether it’s because they just don’t care or if I’m botching the delivery to the (typically) unsuspecting family member.

I’m working on a restoration project in the Farm Field on Grand Island. I plant natives like milkweed, menarda, tickseed, black eyed susan, etc. Because of how my contract was written last summer, I was only allowed to plant. But this summer, weed work has been added. So I’ve been working on removing daisies, yellow rocket, spotted knap weed, St. John’s wart, blatter campion are a few that I’ve been working on thus far.

The people I work with are pretty tremendous. One of them randomly brings bake goods to work. Another is just awesome to work, she noticed that I had a tick on my ear and removed it for me. They also are willing to share information about the different plants, what kinds of edible fruits and vegetables can be found on the island and what habitat they can be found in. The ferry operator was rather excited for the leeks that were in season earlier this month. And he brought my coworker who bakes some rhubarb that he had found and yes she did make us some cake with it.

Unfortunately because I spend three days a week for eight hours a day out in the elements it makes my down time a bit focused towards the indoors. I mean I have to force myself to go to the beach to keep myself from getting a horrible farmer’s tan, as oppose to going to the beach for having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment