Gorgeously Green Official

Here is the official website that I have used as a basis for my blog: www.gorgeouslygreen.com

Monday, July 4, 2011

Sunscreen a failure? or just better for a different occasion?

With the arrival of summer, I have been trying to find a green sunscreen. Most typical sunscreens contain Oxybenzone. Oxybenzone is a chemical that "filters" ultra violet light on the skin's surface from light to heat.  There haven't been many studies comparing the affects of the transformed heat applied to the skin and the light applied to the skin.  The British Medical Journal shown that sunbathers who use sunscreens and suntan lotions are at a higher risk of developing malignant Skin Cancer.  Ironic considering we put sunscreen on to avoid short term and long term affects of sun exposure.

I've been experimenting with the Pure Lavender Sunblock from Alba Botanica.  It's 45 SPF, smells amazing, it's incredibly oily so dirt and sand stick and works for approximately two hours.

My job is an eight hour sun exposure with much gardening, so dirt is constantly sticking to me.    With the sun beating down on me, the oil feels insufferable and the bugs tend to love it and me more.  This sunscreen isn't going to cut it.  However, for a short walk about town this sunblock would be appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. Greg Horn recommended Aubrey Organics sunscreen in his book Living Green. I guess it's one of the safest to put on your skin but I don't know how well it blocks the sun as I haven't actually used it (I was a bad girl last summer and didn't wear an ounce of sunscreen).

    Not that this information is very useful to you right now.

    ReplyDelete