Gorgeously Green Official

Here is the official website that I have used as a basis for my blog: www.gorgeouslygreen.com

Friday, May 20, 2011

Green Island: Earth Friendly Goods

A friend of mine has recently gotten married and is prego.  But because I live in the distant north (at least in comparison to my friend) I couldn't make it to the wedding and I most likely won't be able to make the baby shower either.  I wouldn't be deterred. 

Once my winter semester was finished, I booked it downstate.  A two week break from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (aka the UP), was much needed.  These breaks are usually filled with a lot of traveling and seeing people (the rents, high school friends, etc).

To find presents I traveled to Traverse City, Michigan.  Last fall the I attended the Bioneers conference and they shared a lot of local eco-friendly stores.  In one such store I found presents for both the wedding and the baby.  The Green Island is a cute little store that only sells eco-friendly products.  Products such as: bamboo kitchen utensils, organic bedding, a wide variety of washable/organic fabric diapers, etc.

For the wedding present, I found a set of gorgeous hand carved bamboo salad servers.  They were a really deep rich brown with black handles that which have white accents (the pattern reminds me somewhat of a tame African print).

I had some trouble picking something for the baby.  My experience with children is limited.  (That's putting it mildly.)  I didn't know what kind of things my friend already had, what was still needed, what she thought would be helpful.  The reusable organic diapers seemed like a good idea, they had some really cute patterns but would my friend actually use it?  How big would her munchkin be?  Is it any greener buying a green gift for my friend knowing that they wouldn't be used?

I settled on a creamy white onesie with blue seams (a safe pattern that way there would be some chance of my friend actually using it).   A 3-6 month size outfit that way the munchkin could grow into it.

 I also found some green wrapping paper (that wasn't grocery bag brown) that was created from the energy produced by wind turbines and recycled paper.

Overall I was rather proud of my gifts. I managed to get all of this for approximately $40 with tax. 

If you're interested in the store and its products check it out at: http://www.gogreenisland.com/index.php

I forgot to take pics before giving them, so I'm waiting for pics from my friend.  Hopefully I won't have to wait indefinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment