Gorgeously Green Official

Here is the official website that I have used as a basis for my blog: www.gorgeouslygreen.com

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why this project exists...and a few hopes for the project.

As a student studying environmental science, many classes within this major focus on the negatives.  Climate change, ocean acidification, habitat disturbance, over-fishing, are issues that grace the pages of numerous resources and are preached throughout many my classes.  The class almost always ends with if we don't change our habits now the world and all it's natural wonders will be gone in my lifetime.  However, the professors rarely say how to make the change, or worse that one person cannot be enough to help.

I'm not writing this blog to preach about environmental issues and how nobody seems to be listening, or how you are living your life is wrong and you should change it to my idea of living.  No one likes to feel guilty about how they are living their life. I like taking my showers every morning, eating dried pineapple and driving my car when the weather outside resembles that of a snow globe. To be honest, I'm writing the blog for a class this semester.  I have had this book, Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano for about four years now and  this blog project is killing two birds with one stone (as in I finally get to read it for homework).

I'm hoping that this project will be beneficial to me and anyone who stumbles across this blog.  Hoping that this project it will teach me that one person's changes can make a difference beneficial towards Earth; that being eco-friendly doesn't mean I have to go without life's luxuries.

Mahatma Gandhi once said, "Be the change you want to see in the world."  I believe one person can make a change, despite some of the professors' lectures. Optimism is the only way I think that I can survive this project. The book says that the program would be easier to create a "club" because these projects are better done in numbers.  The reader(s) of this blog will serve as my club.  So all comments are welcome, especially constructive criticism.

2 comments:

  1. Good first post! It outlines your project, and it is wonderfully honest about its intentions.

    I'd like to suggest reformatting your blog. The current design is just a single thin column. I'd like to see a wider design; it's easier on the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is serendipitous that I've run into your blog (via facebook) not two or three days after I picked this book up from the library. That must mean something, right? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete